Human Resources Generalist
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Director of Human Resources
The Human Resources Generalist receives and greets visitors and provides administrative support functions to the Department. Performs a variety of Human Resources office duties to assist in the department’s operation. Provides excellent customer service to Department visitors, including employees and guests. Assists with daily routines of the Human Resources Department, including but not limited to records management, staffing, training, employee engagement, and compliance issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
2. Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
3. Conducts or acquires background checks and employment eligibility verifications.
4. Implements new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
5. Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
6. Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
7. Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
8. Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
9. Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
11. Greets visitors and vendors, including internal visitors.
12. Reserves and maintains Human Resources meeting room usage calendar.
13. Provides administrative support, as needed to the Director of Human Resources.
14. Distributes correspondence to the Human Resources Department.
15. Prepares for signature and mailing rejection notices to applicants.
16. Provides employment applications upon request to applicants.
17. Answers incoming phone calls for the Department.
18. Assists with open enrollment, benefit fairs, and job fairs.
19. Conducts pre-employment skills testing if required.
20. Uses a computer-based system to input data for background checks and checks references as required.
21. Maintains office supply inventory and re-order as necessary.
22. Prepares and submits requisitions and purchase orders for supplies.
23. Prepares internal newsletters, as requested, in coordination with the Director.
24. Maintains file database for new hires and disciplinary actions.
25. Maintain strict standards of confidentiality.
26. Works in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
27. Prepares pension loans.
28. Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
Education: Associate’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience: Five years of Human Resource Management experience preferred. SHRM-CP a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
3. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
4. Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
5. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
6. Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate.
7. Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
8. Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
9. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
10. Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems.
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.