Facilities Technician Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Administrative Officer
Supervises employees and performs administrative duties, solves problems, coordinates, and oversees job sites, and repairs and maintains property and equipment. This position also manages the preventive maintenance program and operations of transit-owned buildings, equipment, grounds, and other related duties.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Plans, directs, organizes, staffs, and evaluates preventive maintenance and repair activities of transit-owned buildings, equipment, including rolling stock, and grounds.
• Establishes objectives, policies and procedures, performance standards, schedules, and priorities Enters grant disbursements in the accounting system.
• Develops and recommends operating, capital outlay, and project budgets
• Monitors expenditures.
• Hires, assigns, and trains staff.
• Conducts staff meetings.
• Directs special set-up and maintenance.
• Prepares cost estimates of proposed projects and equipment.
• Inspects and evaluates physical, mechanical, and electrical components of buildings, facilities, and equipment
• Assesses condition and life expectancy of facilities and systems.
• Plans and implements energy conservation changes.
• Develops, monitors, and assures security of tools, equipment, supplies and parts inventories.
• Prepares maintenance, repair and labor costs reports.
• Confers with vendors, contractors, and other departments.
• Ensures compliance with fire, life and safety codes and related regulations.
• Interprets blueprints and modifies plans; if applicable.
• Monitors and maintains automated preventive maintenance and building monitoring systems to control heating, air conditioning, fire systems and electrical power consumption.
• Assures integrity and security data.
• Develops management reports.
• Maintains blueprints and maps associated with Authority’s facilities.
• Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
• Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
• Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
• Must understand and follow all safety rules.
• Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
• Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
Responsible for hiring, training, and evaluating maintenance personnel in multiple shop trades and related functions; schedules jobs; evaluates contractors’ work, determines staff needs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Good knowledge of building maintenance and operations functions; building energy conservation techniques; building codes and related regulations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
Valid commercial driver’s license and any other applicable certifications, licenses, etc.
Education / Experience:
At least 10 years transit maintenance management experience and a bachelor’s degree in a related field (or equivalent experience).
Knowledge / Skills and Abilities
• Good knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical aspects and related systems of commercial buildings.
• HVAC maintenance and operations; building energy conservation, building codes and regulations, computer operating systems.
• Knowledge of Federal regulations concerning bus maintenance and equipment.
• Some knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work, landscaping and sprinkler system installation and maintenance.
• Outstanding communication and administrative skills are needed.
• Skill in using graphic presentation, spreadsheet, and word processing and database management computer applications is required.
• Customer service orientation is mandatory.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, ability to compute rate and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Americans with Disabilities Act:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the Authority make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V:
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment.