Director of Human Resources
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Maintains and enhances the organization’s human resources department by; planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources functions to include polices, programs, and practices. Ensures BJCTA’s compliance with all Federal, state and local laws and regulations pertaining to employment, as well as the Drug and Alcohol programs. Ensures the confidentially of all administrative programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides qualified candidates for vacant positions through advertising, and various recruiting methods. Develops and administers the selection process, when required. Establishes and drafts employment policies/procedures and recommends policies to assure consistent application.
- Proposes revisions and interprets the agency’s personnel policies and procedures for non-bargaining unit employees. Explains personnel policies and programs to all employees as required. Assures consistent application of polices/procedures.
- Provides benefit information to employees, recommends and manages plan changes and coordinate with the Benefits Committee. Serves as principal liaison with insurance providers and brokers. Serves as the Benefits Administrator of the insurance benefit plans as required.
- Develops and manages a competitive and equitable compensation system by preparing and updating job descriptions, performing job audits, coordinating job evaluations, obtaining comparable salary information when needed; coordinating exempt appraisal process and recommending annual salary adjustments.
- Develops and implements professional development programs, to include on-site and off-site training opportunities.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director or Designee to continually analyze the organizational structure for effectiveness and efficiency. Conducts needs assessments; and proposes specific training programs for all employees; monitors and evaluates program results.
- Ensures that training is provided to all employees who perform job evaluations.
- Ensures that all job evaluations received have set clear expectations and the employee has received them in writing.
- Collaborates with all Directors to assess and identify training needs for their direct reports. .
- Assists supervisors and managers in resolving personnel problems; provides advice and counsel on a wide range of personnel subjects. Assists employees in resolving work-related problems; refers employees to local resources for non-work related problems.
- Maintains a monthly/annual log of all personnel concerns from routine personnel records checks, I-9’s to EEO Complaints.
- Works closely with the EEO Officer to insure that all personnel concerns are addressed and insurance carriers are notified timely of any related personnel matters.
- Coordinates investigation on discrimination complaints according to BJCTA polices with the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer (EEO).
- Manages various personnel programs, including New-Hire Orientation and federally mandated drug and alcohol testing program.
- Insures that Compliance Audits of at least 5 percent of the Personnel Records are conducted at least quarterly.
- Coordinates and participates on negotiation team. Interprets, contacts, and assures consistent application of policies/procedures.
- Participates in labor negotiations and the resolution of Labor disputes.
- Researches and prepares arbitrations and employee documents regarding any potential lawsuits for BJCTA’s attorneys.
- Participates in Executive Staff and other meetings, providing strategic leadership and input on decisions having significant organization-wide impact.
- Maintains confidential and permanent personnel and other records by policy, regulations, etc.
- Develops and manages the annual human resource departmental budget.
- Makes presentations to various groups (employees, managers, Board of Directors, and the general public) on the BJCTA human resources policies and programs.
- Serves as BJCTA’s HIPPA Security Officer, taking reasonable steps to maintain the confidentiality of all medical-related information residing in or processed by BJCTA employees.
- Evaluates and selects providers of employee support services, including industrial health clinics and certified laboratories for drug testing. Ensures that this process is completed within a timely manner
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
- Must understand and follow all safety rules.
- Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Previous management and supervisory experience preferred; must successfully demonstrate knowledge and skill in interpretation of Federal, state and local regulations, and oral and written communication.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
Valid Alabama drivers’ license and applicable certificates, licenses or registrations.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or university in the field of Human Relations Management, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field required (appropriate experience may be substituted for degree). Five or more years with progressively responsible experience in human resources management or a related field. Experience in a union labor environment, including contract administration and negotiations preferred. Supervisory/management experience preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, ability to compute rates and percents and the ability to draw and interpret bar graphs from data.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Works ordinarily performed in a standard office environment.
Americans with Disabilities Act:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment