Internal Applicants Only
Job Title: Operations Administrative Assistant II
Job Posting #: 201907080001
Job Position: 177
Job Class: ADM
Job Category: 06
Timeline: 7/8/19 – 8/8/19
Reports to: Director of Operations
FLSA Status: Administrative Non-Exempt
Safety Sensitive: No
Salary: $28,822 - $46,115
INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY
Performs all administrative management functions in support of the BJCTA Operations Department. Assist in the implementation of departmental goals, objectives, and strategies, to include administrative activities, departmental policies and procedures, and the evaluation of operational activities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Periodically reviews administrative procedures and makes recommendations for improvements based on transit industry trends, regulatory changes, or heightened safety standards.
2. Supervises and coordinates the activities of other administrative and clerical support staff assigned to the Operations Department and assures adequate coverage is provided in their absence.
3. Composes and types memos, bulletins, correspondence and reports, as required. Types and records confidential employee materials; e.g. grievances within contractual deadlines.
4. Enters and tracks data related to disciplinary or non-disciplinary activities of employees, including accidents, incidents, ride-checks, disposition of disciplinary actions, etc.
5. Drafts and reviews monthly reporting data and make recommended data to format changes to the report initiator.
6. Orders and distributes forms used daily in the department and agency, as well as maintains the stock of office supplies while keeping within the allotted budget.
7. Prepares requisitions, as required.
8. Posts disciplinary and non-disciplinary lists of drivers to meet with appropriate management personnel.
9. Maintains appointment calendars; arranges meetings and prepares the agenda.
10. Contacts appropriate personnel for building maintenance and requests repair maintenance when necessary for various office machines and building needs, as appropriate.
11. Notifies appropriate personnel of retirements, terminations, resignations
12. Signs in on behalf of Operations Management as delegated, his or her name to correspondence, requisitions, vouchers, and other forms of consequence.
13. Provides administrative support for the Front Desk, as needed.
14. Maintains strict standards of confidentiality.
15. Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
16. Must understand and follow all safety rules.
17. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
Valid Alabama drivers’ license and applicable certificates, licenses or registrations.
Education / Experience
High school diploma. Associates degree preferred. Clerical and supervisory/administrative experience beyond minimum required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to accurately deal with difficult situations.
2. Ability to type 55 wpm and use of Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
3. Administrative and Supervisory ability.
4. Must have comprehensive knowledge of English and spelling.
5. Ability to project a professional appearance with speech, dress and written communication.
6. Community college graduation (or equivalent) in appropriate field.
7. Five (5) years of secretarial experience, three (3) of which must have included supervision, organization, coordination, and performance of duties at a responsible level.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, ability to compute rate and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work ordinarily performed in a standard office environment.
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment